First Time Applicants
The University of the West Indies, Mona Campuses located in Kingston and Montego Bay in Jamaica offer 103 undergraduate degrees in the areas of medicine, social sciences, humanities, education, pure and applied sciences and gender studies. You are invited to view the information on the faculties’ web pages on this site and apply online free of charge for the 2010/2011 academic year.
What is required for entry to programmes at UWI, Mona?
FOR CARIBBEAN STUDENTS(CXC, GCE, GCSE, BGCSE, CAPE/GCE Advanced Level)
Applicants should have the equivalent of 5 subjects (grades 1-3, including English Language) of which two(2) should be at the advanced level. CAPE (2 units each) at grades 1-5, to be eligible for the full time 3 year degree programmes.
- Students should present an acceptable high school grade transcript with a minimum GPA of 2.5 and a minimum score of 1550 for SAT1 for entry to four year programmes
- Students should present an acceptable grade 12 high school transcript with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and a minimum score of 1600 for SAT 1 for entry to three year programmes
German - Abitur
Maturity - over 21 with 5 years working experience (maybe subject to interview).
For other acceptable qualifications please contact us
Faculty requirements may also apply for entry, for example, Mathematics is required for all programmes offered by the Faculties of Social Sciences, Science and Technology, and Medical Sciences as well as selected programmes in the Faculty of Humanities and Education. The medical programme, Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), requires the equivalent of 3 CAPE subjects (2 units each), which includes Biology, Chemistry and one other approved subject, as well as English, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics at CXC CSEC level.
Duration: - Most programmes are offered full time over 3 years or part time over 4 years. Professional programmes may have a longer duration.
Will you get accepted?
The University allows applicants to apply for 4 programmes over 2 Faculties. For example, you may apply for Banking & Finance and Management Studies (Accounting) in the Faculty of Social Sciences, as well as History and Literature in Faculty of Humanities & Education. If you satisfy the matriculation and faculty requirements with competitive grades, you could be made an offer to one or the other of your chosen programmes depending on your academic competitiveness and the combination of prior subjects taken.
What are the Steps to Applying for entry to UWI?
- Complete and submit your online application form.
- Submit to any UWI Centre original and copy of :
- Birth certificate, Academic certificates, Professional certificates and/or Diplomas;
- Marriage certificate/Deed Poll (whichever is applicable) if present name is different from that on documents
- Applicants outside of the University’s contributing territories should submit certified documents (by education institutions or notary public) and be prepared to submit original documents for verification by or before registration.
- Additional documents, if require for specific programmes
How do I satisfy the English Language Requirements for entry?
If you do not possess the equivalent of
- Grade I in CXC/CSEC English A;
- Grade A in GCE ‘O’ Level English Language
- Grade I or II in CAPE Communication Studies
- Grade A in GCE General Paper